Medical Billing Guidelines for Surgeries
Surgery isn’t your average medical procedure—and in the world of revenue cycle management, billing for an invasive procedure isn’t the easiest walk in the park, either. With all the complex challenges that come with this medical practice, like accounting for the numerous types of procedures or various settings like operating rooms and surgery centers, providers need a streamlined system.
Feel free to use this blog as a comprehensive guide to simplified medical coding and billing, especially for surgical procedures. Learn:
- What sets surgeries apart from other medical procedures
- The risks of an unorganized medical billing system
- What to look for in a surgery billing company
The Challenge of Surgery Medical Billing
Billing for surgeries can be a daunting process. It requires providers to understand the various codes associated with different procedures, plus any modifiers the claim should include. For instance, surgeries involve multiple codes that must be cross-referenced to ensure the correct code is used for each procedure.
To properly bill for surgical services, providers must also fully understand the payer’s reimbursement policies. This includes the payment schedules, the allowed reimbursement amount, and any prerequisites that must be met before reimbursement can be received. As such, providers must ensure their billing systems are organized and up-to-date.
The Risks of an Unorganized Medical Coding and Billing System
The complexities of surgery make it one of the most challenging procedures to bill for, as mistakes can result in significant financial losses. A poorly organized billing system can lead to inaccurate claims submissions, delayed payments, and even legal issues. These can all contribute to unnecessary costs for providers down the line.
Navigating a complex coding and billing system is complicated enough, and you shouldn’t waste more of your time dealing with claims processes without the help of a certified coder.
How to Find a Reputable Surgery Billing Company
When it comes to medical billing and coding, finding a reputable surgery billing company doesn’t have to be difficult. As long as you know what to look for, you can easily find a company that meets your needs and provides reliable services. Locate a company with the following traits:
- Compliance with medical billing guidelines – This company should use current medical coding and billing standards, especially as practice guidelines are constantly being revised.
- Lots of credentials – Check the credentials of the company you’re considering working with. Reviews can give you a good sense of how reliable and efficient the company is and whether or not you should trust them with your medical billing needs. Check for client testimonials and see if they’re AAPC-certified to understand their full range of experience.
- Experience – Look for companies with long-standing reputations, and experienced, well-trained staff. This way, you can rest assured that they understand the nuances of coding and billing, which can make all the difference in accuracy and timeliness.
- Excellent customer service and clear communication – Ask about their approach to customer service and communication. You want to be sure that you can trust the company with your billing needs and that they will respond to any questions or concerns you may have.
Partner With BSI Medical Billing Today for a Simplified Medical Billing Process
Streamline your medical billing and coding at the highest level with the help of Billing Specialists, Inc. For over 30 years, we’ve led healthcare providers to financial prosperity with compliant and comprehensive billing solutions. Whether you’re dealing with general surgery, anesthesia, orthopedics, or any medical service, we provide needed services so you don’t have to waste time and money.