Helping Anesthesia Providers Compliantly and Consistently Maximize Reimbursements for Over 30 Years
With so many variables in services provided, anesthesia billing is complicated and often frustrating. BSI Medical Billing handles the complexities of anesthesia coding and billing so that you can focus on your professional services, not paperwork.
Anesthesia care is a multistep process. Each step is billed separately, leading to errors and denials if not correctly recorded, coded, and submitted. The standard hospital services and components that must be accounted for to maximize reimbursements include:
- Pre-operative review: This step includes consultations and patient history reviews to determine the proper dosages to be administered in the operating room or surgery center.
- Anesthesia sheet that includes:
- Base units: Base units account for the complexity and skill level required to administer anesthesia care. Properly filing this information is essential in anesthesia billing.
- Time units: Time units reflect the time spent performing anesthesia services before, during, and after surgery. One unit of time is the equivalent of 15 minutes.
- Modifiers: Modifiers define the anesthesiologist or certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA)’s role in administering services. The patient’s health, certain conditions, and emergencies are all considered modifying units.
- Post-op review: This step involves the collection of records showing the patient has not suffered complications due to the type of anesthesia care provided.
Reach out to BSI to schedule a free, confidential, and no-obligation evaluation to see if our anesthesia billing services are right for you.
BSI’s team of AAPC-certified coders plays an integral role in maximizing reimbursements with fast turnaround times. Typically, most medical specialties include a limited number of CPT codes. However, there are almost 13,000 CPT codes to consider when it comes to anesthesia coding.
With these many variables to consider, you can see why BSI’s experienced anesthesia/pain management specialty certified coders are valuable assets to our clients. Our anesthesia coding incorporates the highest level of specificity with an attention to detail that ensures problem-free billing claim submissions to insurance companies. But the benefits of our anesthesia coding services don’t end there. Along with increased cash flow, you also have more time to dedicate toward patient care, lower operational costs, and the ability to focus on essential daily tasks.
With over 30 years of experience in anesthesia coding, credentialing, and billing, we understand several types of EMRs and use software that supports interfaces with many different systems for superior data extraction.
BSI’s anesthesia billing clients experienced a 94% clean claim rate in 2021. On average, claims spent less than 25 days in AR, with 91% processed in less than 90 days. That equated to over $3.6 million in payments to anesthesia providers last year alone.
We not only know how to bill anesthesia units but also how to follow up with delinquent accounts and denied claims to secure payment. With BSI handling your anesthesia billing and claims management, you have a partner focused on maximizing your reimbursements and building a solid financial foundation for your practice.